Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day Off

So the one UVa football game that I got to go to this year was a complete let down.

I cant believe that the Hoos got so annihilated by a bunch of cheaters, at least when we loose we do it with honor and dignity like true Virginia Gentleman and then get ready for the next game. I have high hopes for our new coach and I truly believe that after a few year we will be back atop the ACC. Ive thought that way all my life and will continue to do so for the rest of it.

In the mean time Im going to continue cooking my butt off at Brookville. Having a three day weekend is going to give my mind plenty of opportunity to wonder and think of new dishes to put on the menu this week.

The first moment of inspiration came while sitting on the couch yesterday with my beautiful fiance. We were watching a show called Iconoclasts and it featured the great Jean Georges. It is refreshing to find that the pinnacles of the cooking community are starting to think more locally. Along with Dan Barber of Blue Hill, Jean Georges is pushing the 100 mile menus in NYC. His new restaurant ABC (my first stop when I get a chance to get back to the Big Apple) is his temple for local.

I find it to be my moral obligation as a chef to get people to eat food from their back yard. It is more nutrient packed, less damaging to the environment, safer and most importantly tastes better, and to have great chef like Dan Barber, Jean Georges and Alice Waters believing in the same ideals makes my job easier as I have case studies to prove that we are right.

So please come down to Brookville and demand the best local produce and meat from me and see how good it can be. Then go to all the other restaurants in Cville and demand that they too cook only locally sourced ingredients. If we can get all the restaurants in Charlottesville to think more locally and not take the easy way out by buying from main line distributors then we are moving in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment